Replacent Radio Speakers

JSanford

Sep 29, 2019
Sacramento, CA
I just replaced my four original Delco speakers with new ones from Electro-Tech http://www.turnswitch.com and am very happy with the results.

My rear 4x10 speakers were completely dead and my front 3.5 speakers had damaged cones. The new speakers are a perfect fit and actually weigh less thanks to modern magnet technology.

Electro-Tech is just about the only source for the 8-10 Ohm speakers our vintage Delco radios use. Using a modern 4 Ohm speaker can actually damage our radios.

IMG_5844 1.jpgIMG_5885 2.jpgIMG_5893 3.jpg

They are suggesting use of "50uf 50volt non-polar coupling capacitors in series to prevent over excursion of the cone at very low frequencies".
I googled that and Complete Greek to me. Could someone please translate for me. What do I need to get to make the small round speakers work with the new Sony I have I my dash?

They are suggesting use of "50uf 50volt non-polar coupling capacitors in series to prevent over excursion of the cone at very low frequencies".
I googled that and Complete Greek to me. Could someone please translate for me. What do I need to get to make the small round speakers work with the new Sony I have I my dash?

You need to wire two of these components end to end to protect the speakers.
Capcitors

If you have a new Sony then you probably need modern 4 Ohm speakers. The Electro-Tech speaks are a perfect fit but are really designed for the vintage audio systems original to our GMCs.

If you have a new Sony then you probably need modern 4 Ohm speakers. The Electro-Tech speaks are a perfect fit but are really designed for the vintage audio systems original to our GMCs.
OK, I got the impression from reading notes from the Electro-Tech http://www.turnswitch.com link that these were OK to use with modern radios. Here is what they said.
Note: When used with modern high power radios, this speaker should be connected with 50uf 50volt non-polar coupling capacitors in series to prevent over excursion of the cone at very low frequencies. Some factory GM and all Mopar applications using these speakers have the crossover capacitors installed in a box under the dash. It is even more important when installed with our conversion radios or modern after market radios with high power amplifiers.

That is why I'm looking for a translation of the "50uf 50volt non-polar coupling capacitors" thing....