Show of hands, who's based in the Northeast?

Christo

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 4, 2019
Weymouth, MA
www.cruzingear.co
When did you get your coach? Do you keep your coach under cover in the winter or year-round? Are you a snowbird? Do you travel with pets?

My wife Barbara and I acquired Komet in April of 2019. It is garaged year-round. We don't snowbird yet but in the coming years hope to spend Februarys in Florida. We usually travel with our miniature poodle mix Jojo.

RF_Burns

Oct 3, 2019
Ontario Canada
I'm in South-western Ontario Canada, so by your listing I'm in the north east, but more like the Great Lakes since I'm less than an hour to 3 of the great lakes.

I built a shop for the Murray, so its pretty much inside a heated shop when we are not using it.
IMGP6371-small.jpg

We don't travel south with the Murray in the winter, but we do have a place in Mexico. Unfortunately we are not there this winter.

watching sunset.jpg

Sunset-small 2.jpg

We have a dog, husky-shepard mix. We take him with us most of the time, but sometimes he has a stay-cation. Its hard to take a pet when you want to do things where they are not allowed.
IMGP9120-small.jpg

We did the maritimes twice, so we are hoping to do the west in the next year or two.

Reactions: Christo

Christo

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 4, 2019
Weymouth, MA
www.cruzingear.co
I'm in South-western Ontario Canada, so by your listing I'm in the north east, but more like the Great Lakes since I'm less than an hour to 3 of the great lakes.

I built a shop for the Murray, so its pretty much inside a heated shop when we are not using it.
View attachment 3859

We don't travel south with the Murray in the winter, but we do have a place in Mexico. Unfortunately we are not there this winter.

View attachment 3860

View attachment 3861

We have a dog, husky-shepard mix. We take him with us most of the time, but sometimes he has a stay-cation. Its hard to take a pet when you want to do things where they are not allowed.
View attachment 3862

We did the maritimes twice, so we are hoping to do the west in the next year or two.
Sounds like a sweet lifestyle you've built there! Good-looking coach with a unique color scheme. What's your pup's name?

I did my best to divvy up the regions, but you make a good point about Canada. Do you think I should add specific provinces to the applicable groups along the northern US border rather than just using west/central/east? I know there's a concentration of coaches around the Great Lakes (close to where they were 'born'!) and I can see where you might gravitate toward that group.

tmsnyder

Oct 7, 2019
Buffalo NY
Our GMC spent its first winter in our driveway in Buffalo NY, but it seems the road salt is able to blow on to it as dust. It was amazing how fast it went after the chrome bumpers! 20 years sitting outside in El Paso and they looked new. One winter in Buffalo and they were rusty. That was last winter. This winter it is sitting in my dad's steel farm shed, 300 yd from any salted road. Safe from the salt but inconveniently located 3 hours drive away, and when the snow melts it's going to be a pain to get it out of the shed and back on pavement.

Long term, I'd like to get a stone driveway into my back lawn and put up a carport for the GMC with an electric hookup. That way, if we ever get to retire we'll be able to land here in the north for the summer, and travel in the winter. We've even kicked around the idea of renting out the house once the kids are off on their own, hopefully in 10 years or so.

Poodle mixes are great. We have a dog that loves to travel and camp. She's always interested in finding new squirrels and protecting us from them. She found the dashboard ideal for climbing on and searching the overhead treetops for threatening squirrels through the glass. She's 1/2 Pekinese and 1/2 Yorkie-poo, in other words a mutt. Small, so she has very little trouble getting into campgrounds and festivals, eats very little and is easy to pick up after. And hardly any shedding, low dander. Short bursts of activity (invisible squirrel chasing) followed by cuddling and sleeping the rest of the day. Basically she's a small, semi-animated stuffed animal. Unfortunately the vet bills can still be large. She's 10 so getting up there. After she's gone we'll probably look for another mutt like her, or a small terrier like a Cairn, Norwich or Norfolk terrier. I just love those little tough pups.

Reactions: Christo

Christo

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 4, 2019
Weymouth, MA
www.cruzingear.co
Our GMC spent its first winter in our driveway in Buffalo NY, but it seems the road salt is able to blow on to it as dust. It was amazing how fast it went after the chrome bumpers! 20 years sitting outside in El Paso and they looked new. One winter in Buffalo and they were rusty. That was last winter. This winter it is sitting in my dad's steel farm shed, 300 yd from any salted road. Safe from the salt but inconveniently located 3 hours drive away, and when the snow melts it's going to be a pain to get it out of the shed and back on pavement.

Long term, I'd like to get a stone driveway into my back lawn and put up a carport for the GMC with an electric hookup. That way, if we ever get to retire we'll be able to land here in the north for the summer, and travel in the winter. We've even kicked around the idea of renting out the house once the kids are off on their own, hopefully in 10 years or so.

Poodle mixes are great. We have a dog that loves to travel and camp. She's always interested in finding new squirrels and protecting us from them. She found the dashboard ideal for climbing on and searching the overhead treetops for threatening squirrels through the glass. She's 1/2 Pekinese and 1/2 Yorkie-poo, in other words a mutt. Small, so she has very little trouble getting into campgrounds and festivals, eats very little and is easy to pick up after. And hardly any shedding, low dander. Short bursts of activity (invisible squirrel chasing) followed by cuddling and sleeping the rest of the day. Basically she's a small, semi-animated stuffed animal. Unfortunately the vet bills can still be large. She's 10 so getting up there. After she's gone we'll probably look for another mutt like her, or a small terrier like a Cairn, Norwich or Norfolk terrier. I just love those little tough pups.
What a great story! We've managed to find winter shelter for Komet both years we've owned her and are happy to have year-round accommodation now, about an hour away. We live directly on a tidal estuary where the prevailing wind blows directly across our driveway, so even in the summer it's not a great idea to keep the coach at home. We've been here for twenty years and several cars have borne the brunt of the constant salt exposure. Especially the RAM truck I had several years ago. The body looked great but the whole front suspension was rust cancer.

The Nor'easters have a rally planned in Lake George in NY -- maybe you can join us as a guest?

tmsnyder

Oct 7, 2019
Buffalo NY
What a great story! We've managed to find winter shelter for Komet both years we've owned her and are happy to have year-round accommodation now, about an hour away. We live directly on a tidal estuary where the prevailing wind blows directly across our driveway, so even in the summer it's not a great idea to keep the coach at home. We've been here for twenty years and several cars have borne the brunt of the constant salt exposure. Especially the RAM truck I had several years ago. The body looked great but the whole front suspension was rust cancer.

The Nor'easters have a rally planned in Lake George in NY -- maybe you can join us as a guest?
We'd love to, what's the date?

RF_Burns

Oct 3, 2019
Ontario Canada
Christo,
Our dawg's name is Buddy. He's a shepard/husky cross. He loves to travel in the GMC. He sits between the seats with his nose in the A/C outlet and he can still see over the dash.

Todd
The GMC Heritage Cruisers is centered from Niagrara Falls so our rally's are in western NY and Southern Ontario. At this point with the Covid restrictions the rally's are a bit up in the air. I'm sure there will be at least one rally on the US side, likely not far from Buffalo.
Watch for updates at

Matt Colie

Oct 25, 2019
South East Michigan near DTW
Todd,

When you are planing, look up the toll for the NYST. You may want to go down to the souther tier Xway or ever Rt-20.
Mary has family there as so we do go to the Albany area periodically. Last time I look at the thruway fare, that convinced me to try other.

Matt

tmsnyder

Oct 7, 2019
Buffalo NY
Todd,

When you are planing, look up the toll for the NYST. You may want to go down to the souther tier Xway or ever Rt-20.
Mary has family there as so we do go to the Albany area periodically. Last time I look at the thruway fare, that convinced me to try other.

Matt

I just pull the EZPass from my daily driver and hit the road, haven't noticed any crazy tolls but then again I never really look. Maybe their system still thinks I'm in my daily driver.....:sneaky: