Seller wants 10% PayPal deposit

Is PayPal a safe option for the buyer making a refundable deposit on a vehicle?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I assume its this one?

Looks nice! Hope you can figure something out. Being that its in Michigan, pay special attention to frame rust issues. Not knowing where you're from, I don't know how familiar you are with road salt and what that does to vehicle undercarriages. In short, if the coach has been driven much in the winter, you'll probably see large, flaking rust chunks. I'd leave immediately in that case. If it hasn't been driven in the winter, you might see some surface rust, but that is OK. Just note that you have to clean it up and repaint later.

Its real tough to get a GOOD inspection under these rigs, as they sit so low to the ground. When you get there to look at it, fire up the air system and raise the coach as far as you can. That should let you look underneath a bit. Don't crawl under it, unless you have a way to support it, but at least you'll get some light under there and can take a look.

Last edited:
Gabriel,
I am sure we can find somebody. I suggest that you go over to <http://gmc.mybirdfeeder.net/GMCforum/> . This is the older forum. It is a little dated and clunky, but this is where the majority of the older owners hang out. You really need to get a hold of some GMC Great Lakers. If the coach is real, someone there will know it. (We are a very tight community.) I am going to set you an opening there, so when you get there, use it .
Matt

Reactions: Gabriel and Christo
I'm in Michigan, about 45 minutes from Lansing. Unfortunately, I don't consider myself enough of an expert to advise someone on the purchase of a GMC. I've only had mine a year, and based on my findings when I looked at it, vs what I'm finding as I start using it and digging into the repairs...yeah, you probably don't want my advice, LOL!

Might be a fun trip to meet someone over there though, who is an expert!
Maybe you're not one of those well-known top-tier experts, but from reading your build thread, you seem pretty competent to me! I'd rather have someone like you look at it than show up sight-unseen. I think you'd be surprised how much you know. The best way to find out is to have a complete noob start asking you questions--then you realize just how many questions you're actually able to answer.

Reactions: Mike_H and Christo
Maybe you're not one of those well-known top-tier experts, but from reading your build thread, you seem pretty competent to me! I'd rather have someone like you look at it than show up sight-unseen. I think you'd be surprised how much you know. The best way to find out is to have a complete noob start asking you questions--then you realize just how many questions you're actually able to answer.
Thanks for the kind words. I'm mechanically competent, but don't know all the gotchas and specific things to look for, like a seasoned vet would. That's my point. I'd hate to recommend one way or the other and have someone be disappointed. I would be able to see the big nasties, but looking at the pictures on FB (if that is indeed the coach), this coach doesn't suffer from that. If this one has problems, they are hiding and you gotta know where to look. As I go through mine, I'm gaining that experience...

I assume its this one?

Looks nice! Hope you can figure something out. Being that its in Michigan, pay special attention to frame rust issues. Not knowing where you're from, I don't know how familiar you are with road salt and what that does to vehicle undercarriages. In short, if the coach has been driven much in the winter, you'll probably see large, flaking rust chunks. I'd leave immediately in that case. If it hasn't been driven in the winter, you might see some surface rust, but that is OK. Just note that you have to clean it up and repaint later.

Its real tough to get a GOOD inspection under these rigs, as they sit so low to the ground. When you get there to look at it, fire up the air system and raise the coach as far as you can. That should let you look underneath a bit. Don't crawl under it, unless you have a way to support it, but at least you'll get some light under there and can take a look.
winner winner ;)

Sorry for the late response, busy day of work. I'm from the ozarks and we are familiar with ice and road salt, although not to the same degree as those in Michigan. My dad always said not to buy a vehicle from the north due to rust, so there's that lol. I live in TN now, so salt isn't too much of an issue going forward.

I was told by the seller he doesn't think it has rust or a rust issue, but he didn't advocate himself as an "RV" guy or extremely familiar with the coach, other than what he knows his parents paid to repair and what the eye can see with a simple visual inspection he gave. Note, it has mostly sat indoors since 2005.

Gabriel,
I am sure we can find somebody. I suggest that you go over to <http://gmc.mybirdfeeder.net/GMCforum/> . This is the older forum. It is a little dated and clunky, but this is where the majority of the older owners hang out. You really need to get a hold of some GMC Great Lakers. If the coach is real, someone there will know it. (We are a very tight community.) I am going to set you an opening there, so when you get there, use it .
Matt

Thanks for this suggestion Matt, will do immediately!

Well even after Matt kindly introduced me on the older GMC forum apparently no one was interested in helping. So no bueno but I appreciate Matt's time and effort.

On the other hand perhaps it doesn't matter bc the seller stopped communicating with me and other interested buyers thus I don't even know the availability of the coach at this time. Common sense says "she gone, sucka" ...or never even existed :unsure:

Anyway, I appreciate the dialogue and help from this community and would recommend you all to any current GMC Motorhome owners (if I knew any haha).

Well even after Matt kindly introduced me on the older GMC forum apparently no one was interested in helping. So no bueno but I appreciate Matt's time and effort.

On the other hand perhaps it doesn't matter bc the seller stopped communicating with me and other interested buyers thus I don't even know the availability of the coach at this time. Common sense says "she gone, sucka" ...or never even existed :unsure:

Anyway, I appreciate the dialogue and help from this community and would recommend you all to any current GMC Motorhome owners (if I knew any haha).

Just checked the FB link and it says sold now. Keep lookin, you'll find "the one" soon enough.

Little story of encouragement. I called the PO of my coach a couple times without a response. I figured it was gone. then he called me back, said someone had given him a deposit. I was pretty bummed. I was REALLY keen on seeing this coach, I knew it was a good one. I actually gave my wife a hard time, because she held me up from calling earlier (not her fault...I was REALLY bummed out). About a week later, I noticed it was back on Facebook...So I called again. Talked to the owner right away, and made plans to run out there that night to look at it. I told my wife we were going this time...even missed my Sister in laws birthday dinner! Ironically enough, it was near Lansing, Mi too. Anyway, we put a deposit on it that night and picked it up a week later. It will work out for you too. Just gotta be vigilant.

Just checked the FB link and it says sold now. Keep lookin, you'll find "the one" soon enough.

Little story of encouragement. I called the PO of my coach a couple times without a response. I figured it was gone. then he called me back, said someone had given him a deposit. I was pretty bummed. I was REALLY keen on seeing this coach, I knew it was a good one. I actually gave my wife a hard time, because she held me up from calling earlier (not her fault...I was REALLY bummed out). About a week later, I noticed it was back on Facebook...So I called again. Talked to the owner right away, and made plans to run out there that night to look at it. I told my wife we were going this time...even missed my Sister in laws birthday dinner! Ironically enough, it was near Lansing, Mi too. Anyway, we put a deposit on it that night and picked it up a week later. It will work out for you too. Just gotta be vigilant.

Yeah I see that it sold now. I told the seller it wouldn't last long. I was the first person to call on that one, unfortunately proximity, my lack of knowledge on these GMCs (and my unwillingness to send $1500 deposit via PayPal sight unseen) didn't work in my favor here.

Anyway I appreciate the encouragement and that ended up being a good story. Speaking of being vigilant, I called the owner of the barn find:

If you wouldn't mind, please take a look (if you already haven't) and let me know what you think it would take to get this '78 PB road worthy.

Yeah I see that it sold now. I told the seller it wouldn't last long. I was the first person to call on that one, unfortunately proximity, my lack of knowledge on these GMCs (and my unwillingness to send $1500 deposit via PayPal sight unseen) didn't work in my favor here.

Anyway I appreciate the encouragement and that ended up being a good story. Speaking of being vigilant, I called the owner of the barn find:

If you wouldn't mind, please take a look (if you already haven't) and let me know what you think it would take to get this '78 PB road worthy.
Oh yeah, I saw that @bdub posted that one on FB. Looks like a nice, original, survior coach. Gonna be a lot of work to bring it up to snuff though, (IMHO).

Not knowing what your level of comfort is with a project, I'll tell you my own personal philosophy. I'm not a big fan of barn finds. I mean its cool to think about finding something long forgotten that you just need a bucket of soapy water and a couple new parts to get it running. But the simple truth of the matter is that sitting, not being used, is SO hard on mechanical things. They degrade so much faster than something that is being used relatively regularly. So, if you're looking for a coach to keep as a project, go through it completely, and rebuild it over the next two years, I'd say that its a good coach. For me, its tough to keep the motivation up that long.

When I was looking, I wanted to find something that was being used, but needed some TLC. That philosophy has gotten me some really nice toys over the years. My boat (Sold to finance the GMC) was in that state of repair when I bought it in 2009. It was solid, had a new motor and outdrive within the last two years, and was being used. However, the trailer had fallen into disrepair, the gel was chalky and oxidized, and the headliner was sagging. It just looked a bit tired. So, we got it for a decently cheap price, and over the next ten years, I added value. I rebuilt the trailer, Cut and polished the gel, re-did the interior, recovered the seats, etc. I sold that boat for 5,000 dollars MORE than I bought it for. I'm sure I spent more than that on the repairs, but my wife and I also had a TON of fun with that boat over the years. The key was that I could use it, do a project, use it, do a project, etc. It kept me motivated and moving toward the goal of having a nice boat.

I also have a jeep wrangler. I bought it a few years ago for 2,000 less than comparable ones on the market. I've been fixing rust, repairing and renovating my wrangler since. I have a very nice, well mannered and well performing jeep now. I'd probably ask 3000 more than I paid if I were to sell it. This winter, I'm putting a new tub on to eliminate the midwest rusty nastyness so prevalent on Wranglers. I'll then use the old tub to build an overland trailer for it.

My GMC is the same way. It needs some TLC. There are a lot of Previous Owner "fixes" that are not done properly. It needs some spit and polish. It needs some routine maintenance. My wife and I will modernize the interior. So, I can pick away at things, while we're enjoying it. Eventually, it will all be fixed. My method takes longer, but I feel its a much better way to go that ripping something apart and starting to work on it, only to lose interest in a year and selling as a project instead of a complete coach.

So, Ask yourself (maybe you already have) what you're really looking for. Do you want the long resto project? Or, do you want to spend a bit more and get something to enjoy right away? Pick a system, repair that system and use the coach again. Space out your mods and repairs into smaller, more bite-sized pieces.

Back to the Coach you posted about. Plan on replacing EVERY rubber component on it. Fuel lines, vacuum lines, tires, airbags, etc. You might find that critters have chewed up wires...so you will most likely have some weird electrical problems to track down. Also, you'll want to drain and replace EVERY fluid on the automotive side, at a minimum. Flush the cooling system. Transmission, engine oil, brake fluid, diff fluid, etc. A full tune up will be required. Probably a carb rebuild. This is just where I'd start. Depending on what I find while doing the work, I may go deeper into the various systems and subsystems. For instance...When I was doing the first tune up on my coach, the mechanical advance mechanism in the distributer was seized. So, instead of trying to "fix" it, I called Dick Paterson, and just ordered a new ignition system. Plugs, wires, distributor, everything. Just the way I do things.

For me, "roadworthy" means I can reasonably expect to make it to my destination with no drama. I'd bring my mom or gramma with me, and not worry about a breakdown. So, I spend more to buy that trust. Some guys aren't as anal as I am about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sfisher
I'm about 45 minutes from Lansing, but I'm not technically knowledgeable enough to evaluate it.

I could go just to make sure it's legit, and not a scam, or a setup for a robbery. Don't laugh. I've heard real stories.

Reactions: tmsnyder
My first suggestion would have been to go to the BlackList and find someone close to Lansing. There are lots of friends on the list you haven't met but are glad to help.

Reactions: tmsnyder