Rear hatch backer rod before caulk?

Racermech

Sep 2, 2020
So Cal
So it looks like I have at least 2 layers of caulking. One is hard as a rock, the other is still soft but has pulled away in areas. But overall it just looks hideous!! I have removed a couple feet of caulk but there is way more space behind the caulk that I would of imagined. Has anyone placed backer rod in the gap and the caulked over that? Seems like a logical way to avoid just filling the gap with caulk.
I was planning on using the Dicor non leveling non sag lap seal caulk. Is this a good product for this area, or is there something else I should be looking at?

So it looks like I have at least 2 layers of caulking. One is hard as a rock, the other is still soft but has pulled away in areas. But overall it just looks hideous!! I have removed a couple feet of caulk but there is way more space behind the caulk that I would of imagined. Has anyone placed backer rod in the gap and the caulked over that? Seems like a logical way to avoid just filling the gap with caulk.
I was planning on using the Dicor non leveling non sag lap seal caulk. Is this a good product for this area, or is there something else I should be looking at?
I had big leaks back there. First I need to remove the inside plastic so I could get to the place the exterior cap screws fit. I found cracks in the place the screws seat so had to repair a lot of those This ensured a tight fit for the screws but may not be necessary for leak protection, sealing the screws from outside would be in that case. My leaks came from the screws themselves. Back outside I put some DAP 230 the same color as the rig around the screw head and put them in and cleaned it off so there was none squeezing out past the screws other than a small line. I also put backer rod of 3/8 inch or larger to ensure a snug fit across the top of the cap crack and down the side about 18 inches; followed that with DAP 230 in the same color. It worked much better the second time when I didn't try to squeeze the job in before a drizzly spell! Stuff never cured when it got damp. No need to go further down than about 18 inches because the construction of the cap and where it fits will not allow water to get in all the way but the same construction on top does since Gravity you know.