New Update on Alcoa Recall Success

rodknu

Jan 20, 2021
Thompson Falls, Montana
This morning 2/17/21, I spoke to a VERY polite and nice lady at Alcoa regarding the Alcoa wheels I have on my recently purchased 1975 Eleganza II. This coach has been mostly stored in the last 23 years (only 6,981 miles in those 23 years). The manufacture date on the wheels is 06/97. She immediately said they were included in the recall and instructed me to send her an email containing name, a shipping address, mfgr date of wheels, kind of motorhome and she would ship me six new wheels and email me instructions on returning the old wheels. I will advise is there are any glitches.
Rod

Reactions: Christo

Matt Colie

Oct 25, 2019
South East Michigan near DTW
Rod,
This was so thoroughly covered at the other forum before this one opened that I would be very surprised if there was any issue at all.
From What I Remember, Alcoa will pay the cost of having your tires mounted on the new rims and shipping of the old rims to their location.
I do not recall ever reading of a complaint.
Matt

rodknu

Jan 20, 2021
Thompson Falls, Montana
Nice!! Was advised by Alcoa today my new ones will be shipped tomorrow. Also advised me they no longer pay to have the tires remounted on them and switching out the wheels. Oh well, small inconvenience for a new set to shiny wheels.....

rodknu

Jan 20, 2021
Thompson Falls, Montana
Matt, according to my contact with Alcoa, when I asked about getting a 7 wheel for my spare, I asked where I could buy one and what the part number would be. She informed me I could not buy one because the replacements she is providing me with are not for sale by Alcoa. She advised me that the only wheels they make (made) to fit the GMC Motorhome were Hub Centric Wheels and those part numbers are 160231, 160232 (the dually polished on the recessed side), and 160237 which they are replacing my wheels with. But, apparently you cannot purchase a new 160237. Her suggestion was to look for one of those three numbers on eBay, Craigslist or similar. She stressed those were the only three p/n that are a direct fitment wheel for the GMC Motorhome. So.... you may not be far from wrong (just add "for sale" at the end of your statement.;) My search for a used one continues!!!

HERSHEYPA

Feb 16, 2021
This morning 2/17/21, I spoke to a VERY polite and nice lady at Alcoa regarding the Alcoa wheels I have on my recently purchased 1975 Eleganza II. This coach has been mostly stored in the last 23 years (only 6,981 miles in those 23 years). The manufacture date on the wheels is 06/97. She immediately said they were included in the recall and instructed me to send her an email containing name, a shipping address, mfgr date of wheels, kind of motorhome and she would ship me six new wheels and email me instructions on returning the old wheels. I will advise is there are any glitches.
Rod
Where do I look for a number or date code ???
Where do I call? Could you share a phone number?

Thanks. I’m new at this. Just purchased a 1972. This is the first I’m learning about a wheel recall. Thanks again all

rodknu

Jan 20, 2021
Thompson Falls, Montana
Hi,
You will find the number and date of mfgr on the inside of the rim opposite the valve stem The information is engraved in the alloy.

Are you sure you have a 72? The GMC's we are referring to were made from 1973 to 1978.

Good Luck,
Rod

Here is the recall information:
16x6 Aftermarket Light Truck Dually Wheel Recall, Initiated Nov 1998 and May 2003
SUMMARY:
Howmet Aerospace Wheel Systems (formerly Arconic Wheel and Transportation Products or Alcoa Wheel Products) is voluntarily recalling since November 1998 16x6-inch dually aftermarket wheels MANUFACTURED BETWEEN SEPTEMBER 1993 THROUGH JUNE 1999 and further described below. These wheels may contain process-induced stresses which could lead to cracks developing over a period of time.

THE RECALL INCLUDES AFTERMARKET WHEELS ONLY. Alcoa wheels sold through original manufacturers such as Ford, General Motors and Chrysler are not affected. Customers and dealers can determine whether their wheels are included by checking the part number and date of manufacture in the wheel roll stamp. Recalled part numbers are:

Model: LTS
Part Numbers: 160251, 160252, 160261, 160262, 160271, 160272

Model: Classic
Part Numbers: 160231, 160232, 160241, 160242, 160281, 160282, 160291, 160292, 160301, 160302

CONSEQUENCE:
This could lead to air loss from the tire as well as the eventual separation of the wheel and tire.

REMEDY:
Howmet Aerospace will replace the wheels with an alternate style wheel or provide compensation toward replacement product.

• In North America, call 1-800-242-9898 and press “option 1”. You will be transferred to our Warranty and Technical Department.
• A representative will ask you the following questions:
• Customer Name
• Part Number of the wheel
• Date of manufacture

• End User (if applicable)
A return goods authorization (RGA) number and shipping instructions will be given to you if the wheel or wheels falls under the recall. Howmet Aerospace will pay for the freight charges ONLY if the shipping instructions are followed. The wheel MUST be put into a box with the RGA number on the outside of the box and returned to the Howmet Aerospace Warranty Department for Alcoa Wheels.
Howmet Aerospace Inc.
for Alcoa Wheel Products
3320 Gilchrist Road
Mogadore, OH 44260

HERSHEYPA

Feb 16, 2021
Hi,
You will find the number and date of mfgr on the inside of the rim opposite the valve stem The information is engraved in the alloy.

Are you sure you have a 72? The GMC's we are referring to were made from 1973 to 1978.

Good Luck,
Rod

Here is the recall information:
16x6 Aftermarket Light Truck Dually Wheel Recall, Initiated Nov 1998 and May 2003
SUMMARY:
Howmet Aerospace Wheel Systems (formerly Arconic Wheel and Transportation Products or Alcoa Wheel Products) is voluntarily recalling since November 1998 16x6-inch dually aftermarket wheels MANUFACTURED BETWEEN SEPTEMBER 1993 THROUGH JUNE 1999 and further described below. These wheels may contain process-induced stresses which could lead to cracks developing over a period of time.

THE RECALL INCLUDES AFTERMARKET WHEELS ONLY. Alcoa wheels sold through original manufacturers such as Ford, General Motors and Chrysler are not affected. Customers and dealers can determine whether their wheels are included by checking the part number and date of manufacture in the wheel roll stamp. Recalled part numbers are:

Model: LTS
Part Numbers: 160251, 160252, 160261, 160262, 160271, 160272

Model: Classic
Part Numbers: 160231, 160232, 160241, 160242, 160281, 160282, 160291, 160292, 160301, 160302

CONSEQUENCE:
This could lead to air loss from the tire as well as the eventual separation of the wheel and tire.

REMEDY:
Howmet Aerospace will replace the wheels with an alternate style wheel or provide compensation toward replacement product.

• In North America, call 1-800-242-9898 and press “option 1”. You will be transferred to our Warranty and Technical Department.
• A representative will ask you the following questions:
• Customer Name
• Part Number of the wheel
• Date of manufacture

• End User (if applicable)
A return goods authorization (RGA) number and shipping instructions will be given to you if the wheel or wheels falls under the recall. Howmet Aerospace will pay for the freight charges ONLY if the shipping instructions are followed. The wheel MUST be put into a box with the RGA number on the outside of the box and returned to the Howmet Aerospace Warranty Department for Alcoa Wheels.
Howmet Aerospace Inc.
for Alcoa Wheel Products
3320 Gilchrist Road
Mogadore, OH 44260
Fantastic. Thank you. Yes it’s a 1973. I typed wrong. I have no idea about the wheels yet. I bought it sight unseen, I’m headed from pennsylvania to Texas to get it in 3 weeks. (Hopefully everything is as represented) 😳🙂