hi from Carolyn & Larry

LARRYT

Feb 9, 2020
We are in Cattaragus county. love lake Erie,, this is our 2nd PB, "PEARl" has been extensively rebuild .. original 455 from way back less than 80 k miles WE are glad to be back with one Larry 78/455 XPB

Matt Colie

Oct 25, 2019
South East Michigan near DTW
Larry,
Six months is unqualified. You should make careful notes about everything thought. The 455 production ended about mid 77. that does not mean that yours is not, but it may have a few things strange. It is very possibly a dealer change or not a real 78. (I have one of these in my back lot.) Its VIN says 78, but parts of it are not.

Whatever, you have a pretty coach there. Have you hooked up with a local chapter yet? Where you are, you are in the territory of both Heritage Cuisers or Great Lakes. Either will welcome you. Great Lakers activity tends to be way west of you. The drive around that bottom of Lake Erie isn't all that bad, we have done it a lot (contact me before you do). Heritage Cruisers are interesting in that it is a chapter defined by a boarder crossing. Many of the members are in Canada. That didn't used to be a problem.

If you are up to a multi-day journey in September, think about getting to the international in Chippewa Fall toward the end of that month. If you get there, be ready to be overloaded with TZE specific information if you stand in one place and listen.

Matt

LARRYT

Feb 9, 2020
Matt our gmc is originally from Oklahoma, the dealership there appears to changed the engine very early on. as far as i can tell. the vin # seem right for a 78 and is in fact a 455 by the valve covers. do not know what you meant by unqualified. went thru all systems to make sure they were reliable . po did not use water ,sewer and generator but very good for the mecanicals. we bought it last marchthe

Matt Colie

Oct 25, 2019
Larry,

When I said unqualified in this case, I was indicating that more than a few have taken longer to get a coach road ready. I know that there were a few (no idea how many) of the 403 coaches that had main engine failures very early on. I was told that a few dealers, were shipped complete kits to put in crate 455s under warranty. I have only directly hear of two others. One was a 77, and the others early 78's.

I have always been amused that the extra 150# gets you something like 12hp.

Matt

LARRYT

Feb 9, 2020
Matt thanks for the response .the 2nd PO bought it from Oak. verified the damaged 403 story factory replacement. he did the rework . paint, interior , bearings etc & lots of other good stuff. is not the 455 a more robust engine with more torque ? ! Larry

Christo

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 4, 2019
Weymouth, MA
www.cruzingear.co
Matt thanks for the response .the 2nd PO bought it from Oak. verified the damaged 403 story factory replacement. he did the rework . paint, interior , bearings etc & lots of other good stuff. is not the 455 a more robust engine with more torque ? ! Larry
There are lots of fans of both engines; it's one of those tomato/tomahto things...

Reactions: tmsnyder

Matt Colie

Oct 25, 2019
Larry,
The simple answer to your question is ....
Not Really.
If we look through population of coaches that are very similar age, weight and use, there is little difference between them. The overall performance is not remarkably difference. The thing that seems to show up most is possible improvement in fuel economy for the 403. Even that can be blown away by driving style.
This got beat up over at the old forum a few (10+) years back.
It seems that the biggest difference is that the lower deck height allows the use of a better intake manifold.
Matt

Reactions: tmsnyder

tmsnyder

Oct 7, 2019
Buffalo NY
The 403 certainly does open up the options for a replacement intake manifold. I do envy that a little bit. But not enough to swap a 403 in for my 455, never in a million years!