Furnace Ignitor/Ingition Electrode

ChrisCull3n

Oct 19, 2020
Atlanta GA
I am trying to get my furnace operating so I can stop freezing every morning and got to take a good look at it today. Seems that this time I tried the blower actually came on instead of just killing my whole 12 V system so that's progress. The thing wouldn't light unfortunately and upon investigation, I pulled out the ignition thing according to the manual and in my struggle to get it off, unscrewed the tip which was already loose. When I finally got it out it looked like this. I believe a replacement should be all I need to get this running now... Does anyone know where I can find one of these? It says TriMen on it, and my furnace is an automatic Solaire 30-I-12.men.jpgTri.jpg

I can't see the ends at all, so it's hard to tell exactly what it's supposed to look like. I've had luck in the past just browsing furnace ignitors on Amazon and getting one that "looked right". I think you'll find that there are a fairly limited number of unique designs for ignitors out there between Suburban, Atwood, etc.

Where's the rest of it? Have the electrode, wire, and porcelain holder fallen off?

I can't see the ends at all, so it's hard to tell exactly what it's supposed to look like. I've had luck in the past just browsing furnace ignitors on Amazon and getting one that "looked right". I think you'll find that there are a fairly limited number of unique designs for ignitors out there between Suburban, Atwood, etc.

Where's the rest of it? Have the electrode, wire, and porcelain holder fallen off?

Yes when I removed the igniter, I was having such a hard time I tried unscrewing this already loose tip piece off the back of the igniter to try and get my socket on it.

I didn’t hear the sound of anything dropping off the other end inside... but was hoping I might be able to just install the new one and it wouldn’t be a problem. I’ll grab a magnet stick thing from autozone to try and pull it out today.

I also just found out that the replacement igniter for the Solarie is not available, and was wondering if anyone had suggestions for which new furnace I might want to replace it with.

Thanks,
Christian

I still don't think I'd replace the whole furnace due to lack of ignitor availability. They're pretty simple devices. You could definitely find a way to retrofit some other ignitor.

Did the old ignitor have its own grounding rod? Or did it rely on the burner for ground?

1611699377224.png

If you find one like this that's too long, the ends can be clipped shorter as needed, and rebent to obtain the proper gap and spacing from your burner. The mounting base is convenient, cause you can just make sure the mounting surface is drilled out to fit it, then screw it down.