2004 Jeep Wrangler

Mike_H

Oct 3, 2019
Grand Rapids, MI
mikehiler.wixsite.com
My other vehicular passion is Jeeps, particularly the TJ generation (1997-2006). I own a 2004, with the Rubicon package, which gives me selectable locking differentials and a 4 to 1 transfer case. I bought it in 2017 as a bone stock vehicle with 126,000 miles on it. Since then, I've put about 20,000 miles on and have basically rebuilt it from the ground up. Her she is the day I brought her home.

20170219_134607.jpg

And, as she sits today...

IMG_20210717_103348615_HDR.jpg

Lots of changes, 4" suspension lift, 1" body lift, tummy tuck, aluminum skids, 35" tires rock sliders, new bumpers, winch, etc. It's set up to tackle nearly anything. I'm not "done" yet (are they ever) but I'm getting close. I have one last big thing to do with the shocks (custom tuned foxes) and a few more parts to buy...

I actually do take it in the rocks and trails

IMG_20210514_174249913.jpg
If you're interested, mirustyjeep on Instagram and ai have a full on build thread over at

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/mirustyjeep.4191/

Reactions: pvfjr
What was the weight on those TJs? That was the twilight years of the 4.0 inline, right? Those sure had a good run. I'd be clinging to it, for sure.

What was the weight on those TJs? That was the twilight years of the 4.0 inline, right? Those sure had a good run. I'd be clinging to it, for sure.
They're about 4000 lbs, give or take. The plan, once I get the coach up to snuff mechanically, is to tow the Wrangler with us.

Yeah, 2006 was the last year for the 4.0. There are a lot of people who have a lot of nostalgia for the 4 point slow. I'm not one of them. It's adequate, but barely. The best thing you can say for them is that they run forever.

The best thing you can say for them is that they run forever.
That's the best feature I can ask for in an engine (even if I have to keep a crank sensor in the glovebox and check the oil with every fill-up). I also like long runs of single engines for sake of parts long-term. It seems they keep switching things around. I've seen a few reports of head casting issues on the Pentastars too, which is rather unfortunate.

I'm leaning toward outfitting our Vitara as a toad, but a Wrangler would sure be fun. The Fiat is nice at 2300 lbs, but we just towed our 4000 lb boat and it wasn't the worst thing ever.

That's the best feature I can ask for in an engine (even if I have to keep a crank sensor in the glovebox and check the oil with every fill-up). I also like long runs of single engines for sake of parts long-term. It seems they keep switching things around. I've seen a few reports of head casting issues on the Pentastars too, which is rather unfortunate.

I'm leaning toward outfitting our Vitara as a toad, but a Wrangler would sure be fun. The Fiat is nice at 2300 lbs, but we just towed our 4000 lb boat and it wasn't the worst thing ever.
Its heavy, grossly underpowered by displacement, not efficient, doesn't respond to power adders, etc. Its a turd, but at least its somewhat reliable. Unfortunately the later ones really don't play nice with aftermarket sensors and the Mopar ones are getting harder and harder to find. I'm not sure what direction I'll go when mine gives up the ghost. A nice 05 Hemi swap would be great...but that comes with its own issues. Not a fan of an LS swap...and the resultant piggy-backing of controls. I'd like to build a stroker 4.6. That has the benefit of being "bolt in." But...unless done "right" they have heat management issues. There is a guy down south now that has "cracked" the code on the Chrysler engine management so there is a little more flexibility in the tuning aspect.

While I wouldn't mind having another 4x4 of some type, I would not be doing more off-roading. BTDT.
Matt
My wife and I haven't really explored anything out west, so part of the plan is to bring the GMC and tow the wrangler. I want to check out Black Bear Pass, the Rubicon, etc. I like the crawling and technical aspect of wheelin, she likes the sight seeing and fire roads. This fall, we're going to Drummond to see how she (my wife...the jeep and I have already conquered everything Drummond can throw at us) does with more technical stuff, but it will be mostly exploring and color tours.

Once the wheelin bug passes for me, I'll do the same as my folks, I'm sure. They tow a 2017 wrangler sahara 2 door. Very nice tow'd. Its quiet, comfy, and has much better road manners...Not that my wrangler doesn't drive well. I work very hard to make sure its as good on road as off, but its still a TJ. They really upped the game with the JK (and now the JL).